If you live in the Bay Area, there’s probably a 100% chance you have a friend or family member who runs. Here are some simple gifts for that special runner.
1. Shoes. Duh, I know. But unless you know what they run in, we recommend a $75-$100 gift certificate so they can work with an SB Staffer to find the perfect pair.
2. Apparel. Rumor has it that Thomas Edison was more proud of inventing wicking running fabrics that inventing the light bulb. He hated how his cotton leggings soaked up the sweat. We’ve got macho stuff for men and cute outfits for women. Check out our new Nike apparel!
3. Motivation. Born to Run, by Christopher McDougall. If this book doesn’t get them fired up to hit the trails nothing will. Here’s a more detailed review.
4. Hydration. Ask any elite runner… if they’re thirsty on a run, they’re done. Fuel Belt’s Sahara 22oz water bottle has a handle for better grip. And fill it up with any of our performance drinks — I like Cytomax Tropical Fruit — to make sure they’re replacing expended energy and electrolytes.
5. Measurement. The best way to measure and improve their fitness level is to train at the right intensity… and that’s what a heart rate monitor is for. Polar, Timex, and Garmin all make great options. The Timex Road Trainer is a good introductory HRM. A running log book is also a great way to make sure they’re not running too much or too little.
6. Recovery. The following gifts are nice ways to remind them that they’re not a young as they used to be. A foam roller is great for using one’s body weight to massage tight muscles and tendons (especially the IT band, oy that can hurt so good!). Other runners prefer The Stick – anything that calls itself “A Toothbrush for Muscles” has gotta be good, right?